11/30/2011

Q&A With Slim The Mobster: Discusses Dr. Dre, Music Vs. Streets & Fake Rappers

BallerStatus.com: You've called your first meeting and opportunity to work with Dre like hitting the lottery. What happened? How did you link up with Dre, and what was it like getting into the studio with him initially?
Slim The Mobster: When I gave him my number, I wrote my number on a lottery ticket. That's what made him call me. Once I started working with him, at first, it took some time getting used to. But, it's cool now. Slim The Mobster - Photo by Estevan OriolBallerStatus.com: It seems like a long time, but it's just been a few years since you first hooked up with Dre. How have you changed over this time, as far as your mentality, your work ethic, etc.? Slim: A lot of things changed. I just think it was the best thing for me. You don't always get all the right opportunities and chances in your life, so I've been blessed. BallerStatus.com: Obviously, you were doing music before, but what have you learned, working with him and others in the camp, thus far? Slim: Patience ... definitely patience. I learned more about life, in general. He showed me a lot of things, just as a grown man.
BallerStatus.com: In a previous interview (with DubCNN) you said that the "hustler" lifestyle appealed to you, and you chose that over rap music. Why? And, what you made you change your mind? Slim: My mom, my dad -- they was young -- so, my grandma raised me. When you're able to do certain things that you wouldn't normally be able to do, you gonna take advantage of it. I felt like, when I was young, my grandma was a lil slower, so I could do things a lil faster. Like, I caught on fast -- I knew how to sneak out of my house and steal her car when she was asleep (laughs). Versus, if it were my mom and dad, it wouldn't have happened. [Grandma] goes to sleep at 9 at night, feel me? Those little things is the things that made me start in the streets, because you're looking for someone you can relate you. When you're a teenager, and your grandma is in her 50s, it's gonna be hard for her to even catch up, or keep up with you. So, I found more comfort with the dudes that was hustling on the block, rather than being at home. I just left.
I guess I was 12, 13... was when I started rapping for fun. Around the same time, I started finding out about the streets, is when I started finding out about the music. It was just for fun, though.



Read the FULL interview here www.ballerstatus.com



No comments:

Post a Comment